Two Options That Might Be Available to You if You Are Injured in a Car Accident by an Uninsured Driver

Two Options That Might Be Available to You if You Are Injured in a Car Accident by an Uninsured Driver

If you are involved in a car accident, and the at-fault driver does not have insurance, you might feel as though you are out of options. While this is often the case, it is important to know that there are certain instances in which you might be able to recover the compensation you are owed for your damages.

Keep reading to learn about two options that might be available to you. If you need to file a lawsuit against the other driver, please contact Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas at 909-982-0707 for a free legal consultation at your convenience.

  1. File a Claim Against Your Own Insurance Policy
  2. If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, then you are protected against this specific situation. Note that this is an entirely optional coverage type, and many people do not have it. However, if you do, then it is designed to compensate you through your own insurance in the event that the other party does not have insurance. To determine if you have this type of coverage, look at your insurance policy or contact your insurer directly. If you do have coverage, you can file a claim with your own insurance company.
  3. File a Lawsuit Against the Driver
  4. It could be that the driver does not have auto insurance, but they do have personal wealth. In this case, you can sue them directly. You could be entitled to sue them for compensation related to all damages, including your lost wages, property damage, medical costs, pain and suffering, and more.

Note with this option that it will not be enough to simply win your case. You will also need to be able to collect damages. For example, if you win a case against someone who makes minimum wage and does not own a home, how would you recover the damages you won?

On the other hand, if you sued someone who owns three homes, has a million dollars in the bank, and has a stake in several businesses, then you might be able to actually recover the damages you win.

An Attorney is the Best Party to Help You Decide How to Proceed

If you were involved in a car accident in which someone else was at fault, and that party was not insured, then you might have some tough decisions to make. At Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas, we recommend that you run your situation by a personal injury attorney. You can do so by contacting Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas at 909-982-0707. We will carefully consider your case and help you find the best way forward.

  • Fernando Vargas

  • Recent Posts

  • Archives

  • Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas Located at
    8647 Haven Avenue Suite 200, Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
    Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas Logo Phone: 909-982-0707