Top 10 States with Increasing Auto Accident Costs
Rising insurance claim costs make it more important than ever to have an automobile accident injury attorney on your side
According to the National Safety Council, automobile accident deaths increased by 8 percent in 2015. This represents the biggest increase in 50 years. Other industry experts, such as the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI), point to factors like increases in distracted driving, worsening traffic congestion, changing demographics, and the decriminalization of marijuana as the primary causes of the trend towards more frequent and more serious car accidents.
When you combine this trend with increasing medical costs, the result is more costly claims for auto insurers. According to an assistant VP from PCI, the average insurance claim for automobile accident injuries has increased 42 percent over the past 10 years.
Some states have been harder hit by increasing automobile accident costs than others. Here are the top 10 states with increasing automobile accident costs:
- Washington DC: 12.2 percent increase
- Georgia: 9.5 percent increase
- Florida: 8.5 percent increase
- Massachusetts: 8.1 percent increase
- Nevada: 8 percent increase
- Mississippi: 7.8 percent increase
- South Carolina: 7.4 percent increase
- Maryland: 7.4 percent increase
- Colorado: 7.2 percent increase
- Rhode Island: 6.5 percent increase
Why Does This Matter?
Increasing auto accident claim costs matter because they affect how insurance companies respond to claims. In a business climate where costs are increasing, they may be even more likely to look for any possible reason to deny or reduce your auto accident injury claim. This is true here in California even though our state is not in the top 10—costs in other states can affect how national insurance companies behave in California.
How to Protect Your Interests when Dealing with Insurance Companies
If you have been hurt in any kind of automobile accident that was not entirely your fault, your best bet is to contact an automobile accident injury attorney like Fernando D. Vargas to help you.
Attorney Vargas can handle all your interactions with the insurance company, which will help to:
- Prevent you from accidentally admitting fault or liability for the accident
- Ensure you are prepared to provide a clear statement to the insurance company
- Make sure all relevant evidence relating to your accident is collected and analyzed quickly
- Present the strongest possible claim for compensation to the insurance company
- Prevent you from accidentally accepting an unfair, lowball settlement offer that does not cover all your damages
- Prepare you to take your claim to court if the insurance company does not offer fair compensation
Start building your claim today by calling the Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas at 909-982-0707 and requesting a free initial consultation.