Has Your Parked Car Been Hit and No One Left a Note? Learn What to Do


Has Your Parked Car Been Hit and No One Left a Note? Learn What to Do

Has Your Parked Car Been Hit and No One Left a Note? Learn What to Do

When you walk back to your car after a long day at the office, you do not expect to see that it has been damaged while you were gone. Unfortunately, this happens all too often. If your car has been damaged while it was parked, and no one left a note taking responsibility, then you may be unsure of the best way to move forward. Keep reading to learn the steps you should consider.

Look for Witnesses

It is often the case that a person who was the victim in a hit and run has the immediate impulse to look for the car that caused the accident. However, their time would be better spent looking for people who may have witnessed the accident. The sooner they are questioned, the more they are likely to remember what they saw.

Look for Cameras

If your car was parked at a store, mall, or bank, then there may be cameras that picked up the accident. Ideally, the camera has picked up the license plate number. In the event the footage is not detailed enough, you can at least narrow down the color, or even type, of car that was used or details about the driver.

Take Pictures and Video of the Damage

Take pictures before you leave the scene. These photos should be taken from numerous angles and should cover the surrounding area as well. If there is any footage that may indicate who caused the damage, such as scrapes of paint, be sure that it documented as well. Taking video can better show the specific angles at which the accident occurred.

Call the Police and Your Insurance Company

If you do not know who hit your car, then you will need to file a police report. Once you have done this, you can contact your insurance company. Note that many insurance companies require a police report be filed before they will consider your claim. Even if you believe that you will soon find the driver, notify both the police and the insurance company right away.

Talk to a Personal Injury Attorney

If you were injured in the accident, then you should contact a personal injury attorney. For example, if you were in the car when it was hit and you suffered a laceration, bruise, or more severe injury, then you may need to sue for your damages. If you were not in the car, but cut yourself on the damage to the vehicle, then you may have a case.

Even if you were not injured, if the at-fault party is found then you may still have a personal injury case. While most of these types of cases do involve physical injury, property damage should also be reimbursed. Contact Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas at 909-982-0707 for a case evaluation.

Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas Located at
8647 Haven Avenue Suite 200, Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas Logo Phone: 909-982-0707