Five Must-Follow Rules to Get Ready for Your California Personal Injury Case
If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness, then you might have cause to file a personal injury claim. It is important to know that just because you have a valid case does not mean you will win it. Learn the five must-follow rules that can greatly increase your chance of winning your case, then contact Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas at 909-982-0707 for a free legal consultation with a Riverside personal injury attorney.
- Do Not Get on Social Media Stay away from social media entirely until your case is settled. This might seem unnecessary but it can make or break your case. For example, even if you innocently write a post about enjoying an afternoon running errands with a friend, the opposing counsel could try to spin this story to show that you are not as injured as you claim you are. The only way to prevent something you write from being misconstrued is to not post on social media at all.
- Get Medical Care Right Away There are two essential medical issues to concern yourself with. First, get medical care – even if you have not suffered a catastrophic injury. You need proof of your injuries, and sometimes you might not be aware of your injury until a doctor finds it. Second, make sure that you follow all instructions your doctor offers. Not doing so can give the other side room to claim that you were not as injured as you say you are, or that you would not have long-term consequences if you had followed medical advice.
- Gather All Evidence You Have You must get together all evidence you have for your case. Ideally, you would have been able to gather photos and/or videos at the scene of the accident. Take photos of your injuries. Get contact information for everyone involved in the accident and any witnesses who saw what happened. Keep copies of your medical records to show both the extent of your injuries and the cost of your medical bills. You should also keep evidence of other damages such as your lost wages, lost benefits (such as vacation time or PTO you were required to take), and a journal of your pain and suffering. The more evidence you have, the easier it will be for your attorney to help you win your case.
- Talk to a Personal Injury Attorney When you work with a personal injury attorney, we can review your case, provide you the legal advice you need, and make sure that everything is filed correctly and on time, that your rights are respected, and that you have a strong advocate that can get you the compensation you are owed.
- Be a Good Plaintiff What this means will vary from one case to another. Talk to your attorney to find out what you can do to increase the chance that you will help your case and not hurt it. It could be as simple as showing up on time and wearing professional clothing. To get the process started, contact Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas at 909-982-0707 for a free legal consultation.