What do you look for in a personal injury attorney?
If you have been injured in any type of accident, you will need an aggressive personal injury attorney who can advocate for your right to compensation. While there are a number of qualities that you should look for in a lawyer, the following factors can help you make a good choice:
- Look for an attorney who focuses on personal injury law. While many law firms claim to be able to handle these types of cases, the outcome of your case will likely be better if you hire a lawyer who has experience handling only personal injury cases on behalf of victims.
- Choose an attorney with trial experience. Although the vast majority of personal injury cases are settled prior to trial, you need a lawyer who is willing and able to take your case to trial if necessary. In addition, insurance companies will be more likely to give you a fair settlement if they believe that your attorney will go to trial.
- Pick a lawyer with a track record of success. If a law firm has not achieved signifiant settlements on behalf of clients, they may not have the skill necessary to get you the best possible outcome.
- Look for a law firm that has the resources necessary to win your case. A lot of time and energy go into a personal injury case — your attorney should have the ability to spend the appropriate amount of time on your case and to hire expert witnesses to support your claim.
- Consider client reviews and other sources of information. Does the lawyer have a good reputation in the community? This will help you make a good decision about whether to hire a particular lawyer.
- Select an attorney who will represent you on a contingency fee basis. This means that the lawyer will not charge you up front for their attorneys fees; instead, they will be paid a percentage of your recovery, but only if you win a settlement or award. Contingency fee arrangements align your lawyer’s goals with your own (getting the best possible recovery) — and eliminate the stress of having to pay for a lawyer out-of-pocket when you are already under financial strain after an accident.
Once you have made a list of potential lawyers, schedule a free consultation to discuss your legal rights and options.