Truck and Bus Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- In 2015, there were 4,067 truck accident fatalities.
- 116,000 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks.
- 82 percent of fatal crashes involving trucks are multiple-vehicle crashes.
- 1 in 4 fatal truck accidents happens on the interstate.
- Occupants of other vehicles are more likely to be killed than truck occupants—truck occupants accounted for 16 percent of fatalities in 2015 while other vehicle occupants accounted for 74 percent.
- 86 percent of fatal truck accidents involved heavy large trucks (which have a gross vehicle weight rating of over 26,000 pounds.
- Between 2005 and 2015, intercity buses accounted for 13 percent of fatal accidents, school buses accounted for 41 percent, and transit buses accounted for 33 percent.
- 115 people were killed in school bus accidents in 2015.