Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- 5,376 pedestrians were killed in 2015.
- 70,000 pedestrians were injured in 2015.
- This works out to one death every 1.6 hours and one injury every 7.5 minutes.
- Among traffic accident victims under age 14, 21 percent were pedestrians.
- 19 percent of those killed and 13 percent of those injured were age 65 and older.
- Only 18 percent of accidents occurred in intersections.
- Most accidents (74 percent) occurred after dark.
- Alcohol was involved in 48 percent of fatal pedestrian accidents.
19 percent of pedestrian fatalities involved hit and run drivers.