Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Motorcycle accidents accounted for 13 percent of all traffic fatalities in 2015.
- The number of motorcycle accident fatalities per year has doubled since 1997.
- 4,693 motorcyclists were killed in the US in 2015.
- 1,938 of these individuals were not wearing helmets. That’s almost 40 percent.
- An estimated 81,200 motorcycle accident injuries occurred in 2015.
- In California, 462 motorcyclists died in 2015. Only 22 of them were not wearing helmets.
Motorcycle accidents are most common in summer, on weekends, and after 6 pm.