Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- In 2015, 818 cyclists were involved in fatal traffic accidents.
- 129 of these accidents took place in California.
- 1 percent of LA’s traffic fatalities are bicyclists.
- Bicycle accident injuries actually declined by 5 percent between 2014 and 2015 to 45,000 injuries.
- Bicycle accidents occurred in rural areas (30 percent) and urban areas (70 percent).
- Fewer than one third of fatal bicycle accidents occurred at intersections. 61 percent occurred at other locations on the roadway and just 3 percent took place in bicycle lanes.
- 84 percent of fatal bicycle accidents involve a cyclist being struck by the front of a vehicle.
Light trucks are the most frequent type of vehicle involved in fatal bicycle accidents.