Five Steps You Must Follow After Being Bitten by a Dog in California
Dog bite injuries can be serious and life-changing. If you are bitten by a dog in California, we strongly recommend that you follow these five steps. To talk to a personal injury attorney who can help, contact Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas at 909-982-0707 for a free legal consultation.
No one ever imagines they will end up the victim of a dog bite injury, but sadly it can happen unexpectedly. You should be prepared with a plan of what to do in case you are injured from a dog bite. We’ve compiled the five steps you should follow immediately after the incident.
- File a Police Report Any time you are injured and need medical care, you should call 911. This is true of dog bites. When you do so, emergency responders will come, including the police, and they will file a report. However, if you do not call emergency services and instead visit your own doctor, you will need to call the police station directly to file a police report. This is an essential part of filing a personal injury claim.
- Get Medical Care It is vital that you get medical care. You want your injuries to heal as soon as possible and with as few complications as possible, which requires advice and treatment from a medical professional. Likewise, you will have a hard time winning a personal injury case if you did not visit a doctor. This can be used as evidence that you did not suffer an injury as serious as you claim it was.
- Take Pictures Evidence is crucial in any injury case, including a dog bite case. Take photos of your injuries to show exactly how the dog bite affected your body. You can also continue to take photos as the injury heals to show how it healed and any complications that might have occurred.
- Get Contact Information from Everyone Involved If you know the owner of the dog that bit you, then you will need their name, address, and other information. However, this is not enough. You also want to get contact information from anyone else who saw what happened. This might include witnesses that saw what happened, the vet that treated the dog in the past, and any other parties who can attest to what happened.
- Call a Personal Injury Attorney It can be very challenging to try and deal with this case on your own. The good news is that you do not have to. You can contact Law Offices of Fernando D. Vargas at 909-982-0707, who can handle all the legal factors for you. We can gather evidence, file the report with the defendant’s insurance company, and take care of every other aspect of the case so that you will be able to concentrate on getting well.
If you are ready to learn more, contact us now at 909-982-0707 for a free legal consultation.